The "Hospental at the Gotthardpass" volume of the Swiss Art Guide GSK by Thomas Brunner designates the Hotel St. Gotthard as one of the most representative baroque residences in the Ursern region today, not least because of its location at the Sumpter Bridge that was built in 1681 and spans the Gotthardreuss River with a bold arch. On September 24th, 1799, the Russian general Suworow stayed here overnight before he began the grueling and bloody march with his army through the maze of the Schoellenen Gorge and the Swiss Alps.
After the exterior remodeling in 1989, the hotel rooms were renovated in stages and, as far as possible, upgraded to today's standards.
Thus there now are some rooms with their own showers and toilets, some rooms with access to the common shower and toilet on each floor, as well as two rooms that were left unchanged since the property was built (at the time they were used as parlor and side parlor) and which were also converted to hotel rooms with access to the common shower and toilet on their respective floor.
For many years, the Hotel St. Gotthard was open during the entire year, because on one hand, it was situated directly on the pass road, and on the other hand because for a long time Andermatt was an important garrison town, and many Swiss soldiers served their mandatory service time in the Urserntal Valley. Since the opening of the Gotthard road tunnel, the new bypass road and the abolition of the garrison in Andermatt, the number of hotel guests declined significantly, so that the hotel is now only open during the tourist seasons in summer and winter.
With Samih Sawiris' tourism project in Andermatt, announced in 2005, we expect another increase in bookings and therefore a positive reversal in the future of the Hotel St. Gotthard.
Winter season 2023/2024
16.12.2023 - 01.04.2024
Hot meals: 11.30 - 21.00
In June and October closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
The business remains open throughout the festive period
Sunday 24.12.2023 closed